Implementing Lesson 4:
1. Be mindful, pay attention to what feelings are you trying to suppress by food? What emotions did you feel before, during and after eating?
2. Practice being curious about your feelings, observe them without judgment and with compassion instead of allowing guilt to take over.
3. Your feelings are not good or bad and they don’t define you, they are just meaningful messages to help you take the right actions.
4. When the urges to eat come, recognize what emotions you are feeling, respond to your emotions, then separate them from your actions by becoming an objective observer.
5. Regulate your emotions with validation and by reducing emotional vulnerabilities.
6. Reduce your emotional vulnerabilities by:
- Avoiding diets and hunger
- Adding positive activities
- Planning and rehearsing ahead
- Acting opposite
7. Mindfulness means to be fully aware of the present moment and paying attention to your emotions, thoughts and experiences instead of being a slave to your impulses and bad habits.
8. Mindfulness is an effective way of dealing with emotional eating not only because it will increase satisfaction while eating but also because it thickens the middle prefrontal cortex of the brain, facilitating more control.
9. You can practice mindfulness or being present by doing regular meditation or during any routine activities throughout the day by switching of the tv, phone, radio or any other distractions.
10. Be grateful for the food you have to eat, slow down when eating (it takes 20 minutes for the brain to send the signal that you are full) and be aware of each bite by looking at the food, touching it, smelling it, tasting it and then paying attention to chewing it.
11. Be mindful and pay attention to eating more nutritious food and plan your meals when you won’t have easy access to healthy food instead of waiting until you are starving.
12. Let go of your “old self” and release yourself from the vicious cycle of dieting, losing and gaining weight which won’t get you anywhere.
13. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
14. Focus on being accepting, mindful and Binge-free!
15. Forget about rules and restrictions, what happened yesterday or what is going to happen tomorrow and stay in the PRESENT!