Mindset and body coaching to overcome emotional eating
Hi everyone. Lucia Veracruz here, and welcome to our third training lesson where we cover The key components of change, The recipe for success and How to create a balanced person.
In our previous lesson, we talked about commitment and how it is super important to stay committed regardless of the new obstacles that may arise and I told you about my story and how I was able to achieve balance in my life.
Today, we will talk about why change is important, how to change and succeed in creating a balanced person.
What we cover today summary:
- The key components of change
- The recipe for success
- How to create a balanced person
The key components of change
What is change?
The exact definition is “Make or become different.”
I always wondered about why do people say that you cannot change…
“Once you are a cheater, always a cheater” or “Once a liar, always a liar… “
I never agreed with this statement, especially based on my personal experience.
When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a policewoman and “fight the bad guys”.
I was honest, kind, reliable and innocent…
Then my circumstances have changed and I became someone completely different.
Pain can make us do unthinkable things…
And again today I am someone completely different and every day I am striving to grow as a person and be the best I can be.
I think we can all completely change depending on what life throws at us and how we are influenced by the people who come into our lives.
Just think of this way, once you have a life changing experience like having a baby, watching someone die, nearly dying yourself or saving someone’s life, you will never be the same again.
I want you to understand that without changing yourself, your actions and your habits, you will not be able to achieve your goals.
If you keep doing the same thing, you will get the same results.
If you don’t change and grow, you will not live your life to the fullest.
I am not here to be nice, I am here to tell you that you can do better if that is what you want and I am here to show you how…
This program includes all the components required for you to change into someone that you desire to be.
And here are the key components:
- You need to make a decision if this is something you really want and you must do it for yourself, not for anybody else
- You need to know how
- You need to change how you think and reprogram your mind
- You need to have the support of those who succeeded- surround yourself with like-minded positive people who you admire
The first step to changing your thinking
If you want your brain to “guide” you in the right direction, then start programming it that way by asking the right questions.
I want you to think of your brain as a computer (FYI today’s computer can replicate more than 75% of our nervous system) and you as a person who is in “control” of your “computer” entering the data in order to get the information you need.
Your brain has a search engine and based on the questions you put in your “search engine”, your brain will come up with the answers and you will find what you are looking for.
Your brain is not designed to make you happy, it is designed to survive so it naturally searches for “What’s wrong?”
But we don’t want to focus on what’s wrong, because then that is what we find! We must focus on what’s right!
So if any thoughts come up as a result of your search that will not give you the solutions you are looking for, move them to the “trash”!
“How can I succeed with this program, if I have no willpower and have lots of emotional baggage?”
“How can I possibly find the energy to look after myself, if I am too exhausted from being a mum and I have no time for myself?”
“How can I succeed if I can’t get myself motivated?”
“How can I get up earlier and exercise in the morning, if I am not a morning person?”
“How can I change my habits, if I am just too set in my ways?”
And replace these thoughts with the ones that are useful and will help you come up with solutions.
Here are the examples:
“How can I make the most of this program and achieve balance in a minimum amount of time?”
*By following the program, taking action and with support from those who have succeeded.
“How can I get more energy to look after myself?”
*By eating nutritious food, exercising and getting sufficient sleep.
“How can I get more motivated?”
*By reading the lessons and asking for help.
“How can I get up earlier and exercise in the morning?”
*Set the alarm and go to bed earlier instead of watching tv or scrolling on social media.
“What habits do I need to change and what new habits do I need to create in order to succeed?”
*By getting rid of the habits that are not useful and creating new ones recommended in the program.
The second step to changing your thinking
Completely change the way you look at exercise and diet.
You need to start thinking of them as a way of living rather than something you do until you achieve your desired weight.
They have so much more to offer than just a slim figure…
Being fit and healthy will make you:
- Happy and positive (literally)
- Less emotional
- Younger in spirit and body
- Less prone to have cancer as vitamins in fruits and vegetables eliminate free radicals that cause cancer and other diseases (osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, dementia, etc.)
- Strong and independent as you get older so you are less likely to end up in a nursing home
If there is energy, vitality and strength, it will show up in every area of your life whether it’s personal or professional.
Why would you ever stop and risk getting depressed, tired, sick, old and weak?
To help you get off the exercising and dieting roller-coaster, here is an exercise and nutrition plan that is sustainable forever:
This is my long term health and fitness goal
1. Nutrition: I can eat whatever I desire, but I make delicious healthy choices to feel energized and to reduce my urges to overeat and I treat myself regularly to feel satisfied.
2. Exercise: I will exercise as long as I live to make the most of this life.
- I exercise 4-6 days a week 15-30 minutes a day whether I feel like it or not.
- Some days I work harder and some days I take it easier depending on how I feel.
- I exercise to feel good every day (this is not about losing weight or because I am worried that I will gain weight).
- I don’t exercise over holidays or if I do, I would do 2-3 light workouts if I feel like it.
- I don’t exercise when I am sick.
- If I don’t get sick and I don’t go on holidays I will exercises 12 weeks in a row then I take a week off to rest and then I start another 12 week period.
A recipe for success
Generally, there are 3 kinds of people:
1, Those who like to be the victims of their circumstance- they don’t take responsibility for their actions, they blame others or their situation, they live in the past or in the future. They believe their lives are out of their control.
I could easily live my life as a victim, using my past as an excuse for my current situation and probably most people would.
But then I would never achieve anything, and I would be stuck in a miserable existence attracting pity, negative energy and a kind of people who feel the same way.
2, Those who go through life experiencing ups and downs, they take responsibility for their actions, they learn from their mistakes and then they move forward until another challenge comes along. They have full control over their lives.
3, Then there are those few masterminds who go beyond what is possible, they turn their dreams into reality and their way of thinking is like nobody else’s.
They look at their situation objectively without emotions in order to make the best decisions to help them achieve their wildest dreams.
If you want to achieve true happiness, take full responsibility for your life and surround yourself with these kinds of people to learn.
Most people probably think that if someone is happy, rich, balanced, slim, they are just lucky.
But here is how the masterminds make their own luck:
Current situation+ desire+ goals+ plan+ action+ time = DREAMS
- Diagnose your current situation= A problem with emotional eating, binging.
- Grow a desire to change your current situation= Imagine what life would be like if you achieved your dreams.
- Set goals= To overcome emotional eating and achieve balance.
- Create a plan= Doing this program.
- Take action= Do your workouts, eat healthy satisfying meals, meditate, do your homework and practice, practice, practice.
- Set time for achieving your goal= Taking the steps takes time, it won’t happen overnight (To change your habits may take a month but to change your lifestyle will take approx. 3 months).
- Dream= Experience balance and freedom in every area of your life.
And here why most people fail to achieve their dreams:
1. Because they don’t believe they can achieve them. What you believe, is what will become your reality.
2. Because they blame others or their circumstances for their situation.
3. Because they are not open-minded. They often believe that events in their past are a fact instead of events that could be subject to misinterpretation and change.
Our minds develop and with time we interpret things differently.
For example, when I was younger and immature I always thought I had an “evil” manipulative stepmother.
And when I grew up, I understood that she was also young and immature herself (10 years younger than my dad), she also had a tough childhood with her “evil” and manipulative mother and she just did her best at the time with the experiences she had.
4. They don’t use the power of compound interest. Most people focus on what they can get right now and they don’t have patients to focus on long term results.
So they quit or give up before they start seeing the long term benefits from their daily actions.
E.g. Some people start affirmations, they read them every day for a couple of weeks but there is no change so they start believing that affirmations don’t work.
Or they start exercising and after a couple of weeks they still can’t see any results, so they give up and think that exercising won’t make much difference.
What is compound interest
“Compound interest can be defined as interest calculated on the initial principal and also on the accumulated interest of previous periods.
It’s because of this that you can grow exponentially through compound interest. Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe.”
What most people often overlook that this here relates to everything in life, not only money.
If you work on yourself (mindset, exercise, healthy diet, affirmations, meditation) every day, it might not seem much at a time but you keep persevering and it’s a guarantee that you will become one of the few “masterminds” who achieve their wildest dreams.
So be committed to the things you say you will do.
It doesn’t matter if quitting or doubt comes to your mind. It comes to mine all the time…
It depends on what you do with that thought.
If it doesn’t serve you, then just get rid of it.
How to create a balanced person
Who is a well-balanced person?
“It is someone sensible who doesn’t have many emotional problems or problems with managing difficult situations, they are often fun-loving, well- balanced individuals.”
Why is it important to be a balanced person?
“Balance sets the ball rolling for a brighter future. Ensures good health: Your mental and physical health is pivotal to your growth, and it also reflects on the overall health of your family.”
I remember when I went to personal growth events and we were supposed to write down our goals, my most important goal was always to have balance.
I really wanted to feel a sense of inner peace rather than the constant extreme highs and lows that I was experiencing.
At that time, it just felt like a dream, almost too good to be ever true, because I had no idea how am I going to achieve it.
But thank goodness, I achieved it!
And here is how you can create balance in your life too:
If you take a person in their current situation who is not balanced and goes from one extreme to another with an all or nothing attitude and “add“
- Mindset & Body coaching program and then affirmations (3 months)
- Exercise (15-30 minutes 4- 6 days a week)
- Healthy nutrition and regular treats (satisfying meals)
- Sufficient sleep and rest (6.5- 8 hours or as much as you can get if you have a small baby)
- Meditation & deep breathing (20 minutes a day)
= It will result in a Balanced person
Why most people fail:
- If they only focus on some of these areas and not all of them combined.
- If they do them in extreme aiming for perfection (either too much or not enough).
- If they only do them for a little while and when there are no IMMEDIATE results, they give up.
How do you evolve as a balanced person:
- Stage one- You start thinking differently, the urges to binge are still there but you start feeling some control. (1-4 weeks)
- Stage two– You are thinking differently and taking different actions- the urges are less frequent and you have more control every time. (4-8 weeks)
- Stage three– You are a balanced person- there are no more urges to binge and no matter what the situation, you are able to fully control your eating and will only eat as much as your body needs. (8-12 weeks)
Going through these stages will require work and testing, it will not happen overnight, it is a gradual transformation.
The more you transform along the way, the better you get at being a balanced person.
When you first notice the change, you’ll be more motivated to keep moving in that direction. You will be more positive and confident which then will make you feel more in control.
Your confidence will be reinforced by having belief and certainty that you can pull it off.
And once you experience emotional balance, it will allow you to experience your emotions without being overwhelmed by them and to accept yourself without judgment.
In our next lesson, we will talk about Separating emotions from food, Regulating emotions, Mindfulness and Mindful eating.
Thank you for completing this lesson, here is today’s homework and check out the action tips tomorrow that you can start implementing right away.